There are many factors to consider when a loved one suffers from dementia. How quickly will it progress? What can I do to best support them while keeping them safe? How can I help optimize their quality of life? While there is no one-size-fits-all solution, there are several key reasons why Memory Care at Dow Rummel Village could be the best fit for your loved one.
- APPROACH. Our memory care program features a person-centered approach that’s designed to help your loved one feel a sense of belonging and purpose, while still preserving their identity and individuality. With a safe and secure environment, your loved one would live in an apartment-like home surrounded by their peers and nurturing staff members.
- EDUCATION. Our entire staff is continuously educated on an exclusive dementia communication program called Buddies Forever. This program aims to thoughtfully use the right skills with the right person at the right time.
- PEACE OF MIND. Dow Rummel is a Life Plan Community which means we have the full spectrum of senior living services, including a Skilled Nursing Center if and when residents need a higher level of care. According to LongTermCare.gov, Someone turning age 65 today has almost a 70% chance of needing some type of long-term care services and supports in their remaining years.
- Village East is a STATE-OF-THE-ART building that offers many benefits for our dementia population:
- Circadian Lighting: Circadian lighting adjusts lighting throughout the day to mimic the natural progession of day (cooler, bright light) into night (warmer, dim light), improving emotional wellbeing, mood and sleep.
- Personalized Room Entry. Hutches outside of resident rooms allow for personalization and wayfinding while also stimulating positive and comforting memories.
- Open Kitchen Concept. Kitchens are the heart of nearly every home. Open kitchens that allow residents to observe and be engaged in the meal prep process can actually be a form of therapy in memory recollection. The simple smell of cookies baking can create a homelike atmosphere that can positively impact both residents and staff.
- Secure Outdoor Courtyard. Our secure outdoor courtyard is in the center of our Memory Care and Enhanced Assisted Living. This space is vital because it can reduce agitation and frustration, relieve stress and improve physical fitness. The walking path is in a continuous figure-eight pattern, leading back to building entrances. Through the use of heated concrete, residents can enjoy the walking path most months of the year.
- Sensory Stimulation. Sensory stimulation is used strategically to arouse one or more of the five senses to evoke positive feelings. This can help residents feel relaxed while improving their mood, self-esteem and well-being. Our sensory stimulation room includes a bubble wall, light therapy, touch therapy, music therapy, and aromatherapy.
- Active and Quiet Spaces. Many Alzheimer’s and dementia patients find comfort in performing the daily activities they performed when younger. Many of the areas around our Memory Care give the residents purpose and comfort, including: a boutique, library, office area, diner, laundromat, Five & Dime Store, wellness area and hobby room.
- FAMILY RECOMMENDED. According to our family member survey participants in May 2022, 100% of family members of Memory Care residents would recommend Dow Rummel Village to others, and 100% have overall satisfaction with Dow Rummel Village.
To learn more about Memory Care or other levels of care available at Dow Rummel Village, give us a call at 605.336.1490 or connect with us here. Also, please vote for us as the Local Best in Memory Care! https://thelocalbest.com/vote/82438/