The certified nursing assistant (C.N.A.) works under the supervision of the Charge Nurses to provide quality nursing care to residents; implements specific job responsibilities and duties ; coordinates work within the department, as well as with other departments; reports pertinent information to the immediate supervisor; responds to inquiries or requests for information; and assists the immediate supervisor with tasks to support department operations.
QUALIFICATIONS AND JOB SKILLS
This associate must have successfully completed course work and examinations to obtain certification as Certified Nurse Assistant. The CNA must obtain continuing education credits as required by the state to maintain certification as a CNA and must provide evidence of continued certification to the facility in a timely and accurate manner. The CNA must familiarize him/herself with Dow Rummel Village policies and procedures and demonstrate this knowledge during the performance of their duties. The CNA must understand and practice resident confidentiality. Must have ability to interact well with residents and families, physicians, and staff; work as part of a team. Must have good basic interpersonal skills –oral and written communication skills, positive, patient attitude and willingness to work as a member of a team to accomplish assigned tasks. Must demonstrate ability to be energetic, enthusiastic and creative in working with residents. Must have ability to understand and follow task orientation and instructions, rules and procedures as outlined in orientation and training. Must be able to push and pull 60 pounds, must be able to lift 50 pounds and must be able to carry 15 pounds with two hands.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Model the values, mission, and vision of the organization;
- Be alert and active in supporting facility’s commitment to safe practices, infection control, and respect for residents’ rights;
Provides quality nursing care to residents in an environment that promotes their rights, dignity, freedom of choice and individuality as illustrated by the following:
- Maintains and improves resident optimal level of functioning and nursing rehabilitation.
- Demonstrates ability to read, understand and follow individual resident care plans. Contributes to the care planning process by providing the charge nurse or other care planning associates with specific information and observations of the residents’ needs and preferences.
- Provides personal care assistance to residents, which may include assistance with grooming, bathing, oral hygiene, skin care, feeding, incontinent care, toileting, colostomy care, prosthetic appliances, transferring, ambulation, range of motion, communicating or other needs in keeping with the individuals’ care requirements.
- Maintains the comfort, privacy, and dignity of residents in the delivery of services to them. Interacts with residents in a manner that displays warmth and promotes a caring environment.
- Acts as an advocate of the resident Bill of Rights and assures resident and family understand the Rights.
- Assists in maintaining a safe, neat and clean environment; reports environmental deficiencies such as lighting or equipment problems by completing and submitting a maintenance request form.
- Protects the personal belongings of each resident, including eyeglasses, dentures, hearing aids, furnishings, jewelry, clothing and memorabilia. Promptly reports missing items according to established policy and procedure.
- Answers residents’ call lights promptly and courteously; responds to resident’s inquiry and reports any abnormal findings or complaints to Charge Nurse.
- Performs various tasks assigned by the charge nurse, including checking vital signs, weighing residents, applying creams/ointments and collecting specimens.
- Assists with orienting residents and their families to the nursing home on admission and to the unit when transfers occur.
- Utilizes the Buddies Forever Dementia Communications skills and Intervention.
- Demonstrates ability to lift, transfer and transports residents in wheelchair, bed etc. using proper body mechanics or lifting devices.
- Communicates clearly and tactfully with the residents, visitors, families, peers and supervisors.
- Assists and escorts residents for appointments such as at the beauty shop or attending activities or church services. Participates in activities and functions as directed.
- Practices careful and efficient use of supplies and linen and follows established charge procedures for resident charge items.
- Completes certified nursing assistant records documenting care provided or other information in keeping with department policies electronically and/or on paper.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and adheres to all infection control procedures, including thorough hand washing, use of disposable gloves where indicated and proper disposal of soiled materials.
- Organizes work to complete assignments within the required time frame.
- Provides additional support to Charge Nurses and others as needed to provide quality care to all residents.