Prepares and serves nourishing and attractive meals and other foods as required to support the menu specific to diet orders and other center events.
QUALIFICATIONS AND JOB SKILLS
Successful completion of orientation and brief training; must be able to follow instructions; demonstrate ability to learn and follow safety, infection control, and sanitation rules applicable to dining room activities. Ability to read, understand and follow recipes, directions, menu orders, and work assignments. This position will show a willingness to perform routine, repetitive tasks with frequent interruptions. Numerical ability is necessary for recipe preparation and proper measuring of cleaning agents and chemicals, as well as good motor coordination and manual dexterity are required for various work routines such as preparing food items, serving trays, handling soiled dishes, operating dietary equipment and cleaning work area. Must be able and willing to work flexible hours and must be able to demonstrate understanding of respect for residents’ rights and be able to interact professionally with residents and family members. Will stand and walk intermittently throughout the working day, as well as reach, stoop, bend, lift, carry, and manipulates various food products, dietary supplies and equipment. Must have an ability to work with chemicals and cleaning agents. Must be able to lift and/or carry 50 lbs. and withstand exposure to temperature and humidity changes as in entering refrigerated storage areas, working at ovens, ranges, dish-washing machines, and at steam tables. This employee must be free from infections or diseases. Preferably have a high school degree or GED and previous dietary service experience. May be required to be ServSafe Certified
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Model the values, mission, and vision of the organization;
- Be alert and active in supporting facility’s commitment to safe practices, infection control, and respect for residents’ rights;
- Overseas and directs staff; making informed decisions in the absence of a Director or supervisor.
- Reviews food menus and work orders to determine type and quantities of food to be prepared.
- Prepare and serve meals as specified in menus and recipes using proper food handling (HAACP) guidelines
- Reviews menus to identify all foods required for therapeutic diets before preparing food.
- Maintains stock of food and beverage items and supplies; and time dates all food items.
- Cleans up after meal preparation, and generally keeps kitchen in a clean, sanitary condition at all times.
- Assists in serving meals and clearing dining area, as needed.
- Serve resident meals following the diet cards and modification sheets for diets and ordered consistencies allowing for special requests as able.
- Follow daily cleaning schedule and sign off as it is completed.
- Follow sanitation guidelines when storing foods including labeling and dating of unused foods, proper sealing of opened packages and rotating stock.
- Follow all job responsibilities which includes good time management.