Under the direction of the Life Enrichment Manager, this position implement facility’s activity program to meet the physical, mental, emotional, and social needs and interests of the residents and coordinate events for independent living residents.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Familiarity with recreational therapy principles and practices, residents’ rights, and facility’s policies and procedures.
Demonstrated energy, enthusiasm, and creativity in working with residents. Must have basic planning and organizing skills. Must be able to lift 50 pounds, and carry 15 pounds with two hands. Must have ability to: interact well with residents and families, physicians, and staff; work as part of a team. Must have good basic interpersonal skills –oral and written communication skills, positive, patient attitude and willingness to work as a member of a team to accomplish assigned tasks. Must demonstrate ability to be energetic, enthusiastic and creative in working with residents. Must have ability to understand and follow task orientation and instructions, rules and procedures as outlined in orientation and training. Demonstrated ability to communicate with internal and external contacts to schedule and execute meaningful events for independent living residents.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Model the values, mission, and vision of the organization;
Be alert and active in supporting facility’s commitment to safe practices, infection control, and respect for residents’ rights;
- Cooperatively plan, organize, and implement facility’s activities program, including social events, outings, regular recurring activities, and other recreational opportunities to meet the physical, intellectual, emotional, and social interests and needs of the residents.
- Inform residents and staff about facility’s activity/recreation therapy opportunities, including distribution of monthly calendar of events and activities in facility.
- Assist residents going to, moving about during, and returning from activities using good body mechanics and safe transfer techniques.
- Orient and coordinate the involvement of volunteers who participate in facility activities.
- Perform specific tasks as assigned to support the facility’s activity program including but not limited to the following:
- Display monthly seasonal decorations and arrange photo board in Allen Wing.
- Maintain, organize and distribute Bingo prizes and supplies.
- Make and deliver popcorn, as scheduled.
- Complete charting, flow sheet documentation, and other paperwork related to recreation therapy department.
- Maintain recreation equipment and supplies. Maintain the organization of the Activity Room and Storage Closets.
- Work cooperatively with other Departments including those in Activities, Nursing and Maintenance.
- Perform other job-related duties as directed by supervisor or other members of the management team.
Independent Living Events Coordinator
- Plan and organize events and activities focusing on the interests of independent living residents with a goal of weekly daily and evening events most weeks.
- Facilitate resident involvement in organizing events with resident participation and feedback from the monthly resident activity and planning committee meeting the monthly.
- Coordinate with the Activities Department staff to create an awareness of events scheduled and to facilitate staff scheduling by meeting monthly to review activities scheduled.
- Maintain a program database of contacts providing programs and events.
- Promote interest in facility events through the campus T.V. channel – Touchtown.
- In partnership with activities manager, prepare a monthly calendar of events for distribution to the independent residents through internal campus TV channel program – Touchtown.
- Format and print monthly Headline Happenings and daily activity sheets for independent and assisted living areas.
- Assist in preparing monthly newsletter articles focusing on events and activities.
- Prepare and distribute monthly birthday cards to assisted living and independent living resident; provide health care and memory care birthday cards to the Activities Department for distribution.
- Perform other duties as assigned.