Assists the Director of Food Service in the daily operations of the main kitchen, including menu development, inventory and purchasing of supplies, and cost control. Directly oversees Main Kitchen Staff including hiring, termination, corrective action and scheduling.
QUALIFICATIONS AND JOB SKILLS
Oversees the activities of the kitchen staff and monitors food production and presentation in the absence of the Director of Food Service. Requires an understanding of federal, state, and local food sanitation regulations. Coordinates and participates in the activities of hiring, training, and managing kitchen. May serve as an expeditor when needed. The successful candidate will have at least 4-6 years of experience in the field with at least 2 of those years involving hands-on management experience. Passion for educating staff and prior experience instructing and teaching back of house team is required. Team management experience including qualities that inspire and motivate staff, and strong leadership skills. Strong communication and interpersonal skills and must be comfortable interacting with guests, co-workers, and residents. Must demonstrate ability to be energetic, enthusiastic and creative in working with residents. Must have ability to understand and follow task orientation and instructions, rules and procedures as outlined in orientation and training. Must be able to push and pull 60 pounds, must be able to lift 50 pounds and must be able to carry 15 pounds with two hands. ServSafe certification is required within 6 months of hire.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Model the values, mission, and vision of the organization;
Be alert and active in supporting facility’s commitment to safe practices, infection control, and respect for residents’ rights;
- Assume responsibilities of Director of Food Service in his/her absence.
- Assure all staff are following standards set by Director of Food Service and be able to enforce/coach employees where needed.
- Assists Director of Food Service with menu development, costing, and assuring budgetary guidelines are being followed in line with par lists set.
- May cook on assigned days and carry out Dow Rummel’s vision on quality of food and service.
- Assist Director of Food Service with interviewing, hiring, staff supervision, disciplinary actions, and staff training for Dow Rummel’s main kitchen.
- Assist Director of Food Service with ordering, inventory management, staff supervision, and staff scheduling for special events and caterings.
- Attend meetings as directed by the Director of Food Service.
- Assure all food is cooked appropriately and is plated properly.
- Assist is all areas of Dietary Department on campus as needed.
- Knowledgeable in computer input to assist Associates to assure residents dietary input is properly tracked.
- Assist Director of Food Service in conducting staff meetings.
- Perform other duties as need.